520.14 - Udrome Irlandiae in Catherlagh Baronia, ca 1639, by Gerard Mercator / J. Hondius, Amsterdam
The map depicts present day County Carlow in Leinster Province and Catherlaugh which is now Carlow. The title is surrounded by a strapwork design cartouche topped with a caliper and a distance scale. Noted in the lower right corner ‘Per Gerardum Mercatorem Cum Privilegio’ identifying the work. The map is from Mercator’s atlas Cosmographicae. In 1604 Jodocus Hondius bought the printing plates from the Mercator family and with his son Jodocus II and Henricus, published the enlarged editions of the Mercator atlas of which this map is one of the plates. The Mercator atlas dominated the map publishing market for the next thirty years. The map is rated Excellent [see our rating criteria on the Home Page] with no apparent flaws; printed on heavy paper with very wide margins, text on the verso and in original color. It measures approximately (13.5″ x 11.1″ – 278 x 344 mm).