520.24 - A Plan of the City of Canterbury & the Adjoining Suburbs ; A.D. MDCCXCVII, 1798 by John Bayly, London
A beautifully engraved plan of Canterbury, laid out in grid form, showing streets, city walls, gates, buildings, parks and alike. The Cathedral, St. Augustine’s Monastery, St. George Priory, and the Archbishop’s Place (including the arms of the city shield) and the Archbishopric; are shown. There are vignette’s of St. Augustine’s Monastery and other various churches. The hand-colored design is complete with a compass rose, topped with a fleur-de-lis and decorative title cartouche. John Bayly (1755 – 1794) was an engraver at the St. Thomas Apostle in London. The map is rated Very Good [see our rating criteria on the Home Page] with several damp stains noted and some scattered foxing indicated. The map measures approximately (15.3” x 12.1” – 38.9 x 30.7 cm).